Martin Florian received his doctorate in computer science from the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) in 2016. From 2012 to 2017, as part of the Institute of Telematics at KIT, he conducted research on privacy in smart traffic, peer-to-peer systems and Bitcoin. On an abstract level, he explored the question of how the protection of user privacy can be reconciled with the realization of robust and secure system functionality, as well as the question to what extent central trust anchors can be made obsolete through innovative peer-to-peer approaches.
From April 2017 to February 2018 he was part of Bundesdruckerei Innovations, where he worked on solutions for data protection, data analysis and identity management, as well as on blockchain-inspired distributed systems.
Since March 2018 he is heading the Weizenbaum research group Trust in Distributed Environments.
Last updated in April 2022. Linked PDFs are content-wise identical to the official publisher versions.
Selected peer-reviewed publications
- L. Balduf, S. Henningsen, M. Florian, S. Rust, and B. Scheuermann, Monitoring Data Requests in Decentralized Data Storage Systems: A Case Study of IPFS, to appear in 42nd IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS), IEEE, 2022.
- P. Keller, M. Florian, R. Böhme, Collaborative deanonymization, in Financial Cryptography and Data Security. FC 2021 International Workshops, Springer, 2021, pp. 39–46.
- S. Henningsen, M. Florian, S. Rust, and B. Scheuermann, Mapping the interplanetary filesystem, in Proceedings of the 2020 IFIP Networking Conference, IFIP, 2020, pp. 289–297.
- M. Florian, S. Henningsen, S. Beaucamp, and B. Scheuermann, Erasing data from blockchain nodes, in 2019 IEEE European Symposium on Security and Privacy Workshops (EuroS&PW), IEEE, 2019, pp. 367–376.
- S. Henningsen, D. Teunis, M. Florian, and B. Scheuermann, Eclipsing Ethereum peers with false friends in 2019 IEEE European Symposium on Security and Privacy Workshops (EuroS&PW), IEEE, 2019, pp. 300–309.
- I. G. Pernice, S. Henningsen, R. Proskalovich, M. Florian, H. Elendner, and B. Scheuermann, Monetary stabilization in cryptocurrencies—design approaches and open questions, in 2019 Crypto Valley Conference on Blockchain Technology (CVCBT) IEEE, 2019, pp. 47–59.
- S. Friebe, M. Florian, DPS-Discuss: Demonstrating decentralized, pseudonymous, Sybil-resistant communication, in Proceedings of the SIGCOMM Posters and Demos ’17, ACM, 2017.
- F. K. Maurer, T. Neudecker, M. Florian, Anonymous CoinJoin transactions with arbitrary values, in 2017 IEEE Trustcom/BigDataSE/ICESS, 2017, pp. 522–529.
- S. Friebe, M. Florian, I. Baumgart, Decentralized and Sybil-resistant pseudonym registration using social graphs, in Proceedings of the 14th Annual Conference on Privacy, Security and Trust (PST), 2016.
- M. Florian, F. Pieper, I. Baumgart, Establishing location privacy in decentralized long-distance geocast services, Ad Hoc Networks, vol. 37, Part 1, pp. 110–121, 2016.
- M. Florian, J. Walter, I. Baumgart, Sybil-resistant pseudonymization and pseudonym change without trusted third parties, in Proceedings of the 14th ACM Workshop on Privacy in the Electronic Society (WPES), ACM, 2015, pp. 65–74.
- M. Florian, S. Finster, I. Baumgart, Privacy-preserving cooperative route planning, IEEE Internet of Things Journal, vol. 1, no. 6, pp. 590–599, 2014.
Other noteworthy publications
- M. Florian, Federated Blockchain Systems: A better trade-off between sustainability and decentralization?, Weizenbaum Series, 26, 2022.
- M. Florian, S. Henningsen, C. Ndolo, and B. Scheuermann, The sum of its parts: Analysis of federated byzantine agreement systems, under journal review, 2022.